 Off-Topic / Debate / 21085
Re: Oh wait--Rummy explains all in the 'sound bite' of the year...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:56:49 GMT

   Look, before the war there wasn’t ANYBODY who doubted that SH had WMD. It was a given; period. There is documented proof that he used them on the Kurds and killed them by the 100,000s for crying out loud! So all of this “where are the WMD” is so disingenuous it’s disgusting. Whether they all have been destroyed by the Iraqis already is entirely moot!

He did have them in the eighties. We did not know if he had them now. Those things, once used, don’t grow in trees...

   Further, even if WMD had been destroyed prior to the war, why in blue blazes would SH be so coy with weapons inspectors??? It makes absolutely no sense.

Perhaps the weapons inspectors were too keen on following misleading intelligence work provided by the allies, rather than actually doing their own work? I do recall Blix complaining that hardly any of those “tipoffs” were actually any good.

   The main reason for going into Iraq was TO DEPOSE SADDAM HUSSEIN. He was the threat; it was his sponsorship of terrorism that was the concern. He refused to step down, and so we went in to help him find his way to the border;-)

Which leads us to the real issue here: If that was indeed the main reason, it could have been stated outright. But nooooo... we had to go around and around. And BTW, I still maintain that he was a lousy dictator, but bore no relation to OBL or “global terrorism” (which I’m getting increasingly fed up hearing about)

   All of this nonsense about finding the WMD is exactly that. The mobile fertilizer (sic) labs were found; that is damning enough.

Peanuts.

   He lied about having illegal range missiles, he lied about WMD.

In 1968 the russians had a moonrocket, a mooncrew, and technicians. They even had 32 engines to boost the beast... and they did not manage to get the “task” done. So having stuff is not good enough... it has to be used in a controlled fashion, in order to provide results. Hitting an empty mall in Kuwait is a big news for 24 hour newschannels, but hardly even noticeable in the overall context of the conflict. How many missiles were fired, and how many actually made damage? And how many even caused more $$ in damage than their cost of making?

   His overthrough was a monumental breakthrough in the war on terrorism and state sponsorship of terrorism specifically, and a clear message to other tin pot dictators around the world.

It also showed that there are tin pot democracies.

Pedro