 Off-Topic / Debate / 19767
Re: Geneva Convention on POW treatment is just another inconvenience to the Bush Regime?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:09:07 GMT

An ICRC spokeswoman said it was very clear that prisoners of war should not
be subject to public exposure.

"Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention says clearly that prisoners of
war must at all times be protected... against insult and public curiosity,"
ICRC spokeswoman Nada Doumani told Reuters news agency.

PoW footage 'breaks convention' [the text you cite]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2881187.stm
==+==
PoWs should not be used as part of the propaganda war between the two sides,
and all warring factions should respect that, says Ms Notari, a former PoW in
Somalia herself.

Those rules should have also been applied to images of PoWs at the US base of
Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

"At that time, we approached the US authorities to ask them not to use these
pictures," she says.

For more than a year now, the American Government has been criticised for the
way it has treated hundreds of prisoners from the fighting in Afghanistan
==+==

See:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2068716.stm
www.usatoday.com/community/ chat/2002-04-29-baer.htm