 Off-Topic / Debate / 19768
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:22:51 GMT

What are the criteria used to determine if an analogy is adequate?  No analogy
will be perfect because it isn't the exact situation that is being discussed.
It is a tool used to point out certain particular similarities that are
important to the author/speaker.

Right, and the "taxes" paid by the slaves -- in the form of 100% of their
productivity -- aided them as well as their fellows.  They were fed, clothed,
and housed without ever having to worry about those things.  And in some • cases,
the system went so far that matches were made for them so that they didn't • have
to go through the awkward and error-prone dating/mating rituals.  All of • their
needs were seen to...right?

You've got to stop using the slaves as an example, because you're hurting
your argument.  The slaves were forcibly removed from their homeland and
forcibly kept at work here as property.  They had no opportunity to renounce
citizenship and leave the US, which an option that you have.

So it's perfectly reasonable to hold a person to a contract that they didn't
sign up for merely because they have the opportunity to leave the contract and
take another more odious contract?

It's like there are three guys surrounding you with cattle prods.  One of them
want to jab you in the eyes, the other in the balls, and the other in the foot.
And when you whine about the guy jabbing you in the eyes, I suggest moving
toward one of the others.  And when you complain about being coerced by a guy
with a cattle prod, I point out that you _do_ afterall have choices.  I mean,
do you hear yourself Dave?

Furthermore, it is frankly offensive that you identify the minor
inconvenience of your tax burden with the systematic (and the privately
maintained, I hasten to add) enslavement, abuse, and dehumanization of
millions of human beings.

I've detected over time that no matter what I write, you're offended, so I
guess I'm having trouble getting too worked up over it.

But, while I do absolutely think that taking by force a part of someone's
productive time is like -- in kind, if not degree -- taking all of someone's
productive time, I do certainly acknowledge that there are differences between
the legal status of those slaves and myself.

Chris