 Off-Topic / Debate / 19837
Re: Geneva Convention on POW treatment is just another inconvenience to the Iraqi Regime?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:50:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Leach writes:
Chris said:

The Iraq military really knows how to treat people....they received a report
that a pilot ejected and landed in the tigris river in baghdad...so what
does the irag military do? ...they shoot at the river....nice way to
take pows.

It looked like more of a mob to me. Given the pictures of the conflict
shown on
al Jazeera, I wonder how [the collective] you would react if the tables were
turned?

Tables turned? You think our(U.S.)military would shoot at a downed pilot in
the water unless that person was allready shooting at us?What's it going to
take with you?

1. It was a mob.
2. They were not shooting at anyone in the water; they feared someone was in
the rushes. [We all fear the unknown to some extent.]
3. Look at how some of your countrymen treated American Muslims in the
aftermath of 911.

Those three facts led me to the conclusion that whilst the Iraq response was
wrong, it would not be unique to Iraqi culture.

Chris, you're wasting your breath with Scott. Many (but unfortunately not
all) of us now ignore Scott... you might consider it too.

“Fine words! I wonder where you stole 'em?” [Jonathan Swift]

Perhaps, if you were not a PLAGIARIST,  people would treat you a little more
seriously? Think about it.

But to answer your question, yes, Scott does think that way about the US, by
and large.

You are wrong. Feel free to prove otherwise!

Scott A