 Off-Topic / Debate / 1934
  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) 'let the scum sit in a prison...' ??? Not judgemental about other people at all are we! The people - and as Larry pointed out there are doubtless many - who didn't commit any crime but ended up in prison anyway because a jury incorrectly (...) (25 years ago, 29-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) Yes, I am. Maybe you think it's a fault to judge other people by their actions. I don't. Let's see, what types of people do we have in prisons, for the most part? Murderers, rapists, child molesters, thieves, etc. Yep, scum. Maybe you think (...) (25 years ago, 29-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) And even if they are otherwise normal, so what? I say someone just like me but who has taken another human's life is substantially different and needs special handling - like restitutive incarceration. What I don't buy from Mike's opinion is (...) (25 years ago, 30-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) That's one heckuva weird scenario. I probably fit into most of that as well, and I don't ever recall being put into a situation where peer pressure or anything else might have suggested that I murder someone. (...) Yep, put the kid down. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 30-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) What's so weird about it? Seriously. (...) Really? I got angry at people from time to time. I took myself way too seriously, and essentially plotted murder on a couple of occasions. When the littleton killings took place, I thought 'there, but (...) (25 years ago, 31-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) Maybe in other countries. But in the US, "for the most part" what we have is drug offenders. There are more people in prison for drug offenses than there are for crimes with victims. And THAT: - is one of the reasons we have the highest per (...) (25 years ago, 31-Aug-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) What's so weird? The actually following through on thoughts of killing someone, I suppose. (...) I'd like to think otherwise, myself. The few times in my childhood and adult life that I have been truly angry enough to want to do physical harm (...) (25 years ago, 1-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)

(...) Yeah, I know. I think I specifically mentioned wasting tons of money on it in another post. Dunno if you and I would differ on the whole drug crimes thing or not. Drug users who don't steal, etc, don't bug me much at all. The pot smokers can (...) (25 years ago, 1-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)