 Off-Topic / Debate / 19271
Re: shut up and take a seat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:14:45 GMT

2 - shut up and take a seat being in the form of "We don't like what you're
saying solely because it goes against what we believe--Therefore you should
stay quiet."

You mean like what Jacques Chirac told the new Europeans the other day?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/18/sprj.irq.chirac/

"It is not well brought up behavior," Mr. Chirac said. "They missed a good
opportunity to keep quiet."

Agreed!  Chirac was out of line with that statement.  I know a few Canadian
political snafus in the recent months have also landed folks in hot water.

We can't tell *anyone* that they don't have a voice.  That's the thing about
'freedom of speech'--it applies (or should) to all or it's meaningless.

I say the 'new' Europe are just as entitled to say they're "Pro America" as
'old' Europe is in saying "No War".

So we're pretty much on the same page on this, I think.

Dave K