 Off-Topic / Debate / 19262
Liberalism: "Trojan-horse fascism without the jackboots"? [was What has to be the worst...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:39:35 GMT

Another thing I have been hearing recently--the backlash against actors
expressing their opinions about the upcoming war.

Editorials, DJ's, political pundits, and others have 'had it' with actors
speaking their POV.  "Rally against Martin Sheen for his commercial that is
coming out against the war," is the battlecry.

This story made it to the Guardian front page today:

Thousands of Americans want to oust their president. The anti-war one, that is
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,907070,00.html
==+==
NBC is under pressure to sack him from its hit show or face a boycott or
withdrawal of advertising. Sheen said in Los Angeles the channel's executives
had indicated that his high profile could damage the show and had called on him
to explain his views. He had also received thousands of hate emails, been
accused of being a traitor and accosted in the street.

Many actors and singers are being lambasted by conservative talk show hosts for
expressing their opposition to the war. A website, Citizens Against Celebrity
Pundits, has been launched, for "American citizens [who] stand against wealthy
Hollywood celebrities abusing their status to speak for us".

The site calls for donations for ads to counter the anti-war movement. "We
believe that celebrities Martin Sheen, Mike Farrell, Tim Robbins, Rob Reiner,
Barbra Streisand and others with them are using their celebrity to interfere
with the defence of our country," says the site.
==+==

I found myself thinking “the liberal-American-media strikes again”. Deeper
inside the paper I found further evidence:

The US is on the right wavelength
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,906875,00.html

==+==
Of the 1,000 or so commercial stations in the US that actually deal in words
rather than music, the overwhelming majority rely on a handful of syndicated
hosts, all rightwing, all skilful, all ferocious.

[later]

These guys have taken over the airwaves and persuaded America that the media
are dominated by lefties. If that were ever true, it is emphatically untrue
now. Radio obviously belongs to the right. So, by default, does TV, because the
agenda is set by the White House, and Bush, Rumsfeld, Fleischer etc get
massively more exposure to promote their agenda than anyone gets to counter it
- especially at a time when there is no clear, credible and confident
opposition leader. And the same applies in the newspapers, where the rigid
notions that govern mainstream journalism demand "objectivity".
==+==

Those looking for independent radio news [via the web] should try the beeb's
"today":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/

Scott A