 Off-Topic / Debate / 18875
18874  |  18876
Subject:
Men vs. Women
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:07:19 GMT

As I roam through the vast halls of this community that is Lugnet, I am
continually struck with the fact that males members and participants tend to
out number females by a very high margin. This is also reflected in the
ratio of people that in our local Lug, and train club; even Brickswest had a
ratio of at least 4 to 1. So I have been wondering why this is, what is it
about the brick that seems more attractive to males than females.

My first thought is to examine the core differences between what each gender
enjoys more. Last night upon looking for new storage techniques, I came
across several scrap booking sites.  This is a hobby that my several women
in my family including my wife enjoy very much, and there is an expo coming
up locally soon. In these expos the ratio is inversely weighted towards
females.  In college I majored in English, and was almost always outnumbered
by my female colleges, while my best friend was a history major who saw few
women in his classes. Why do they call romantic comedies “Chick Flicks”? All
these things simply point out that sometimes interests are driven somewhat
by gender.

What bothered me mostly about this though is the fact that during my stint
as a Kay Bee Toys employee, we considered Lego toys to be gender neutral,
and they were kept in the aisle next to the games and puzzles.  Hardcore
feminists may disagree with me, but it is commonly considered that G.I. Joe,
He-Man, and toy guns are boys toys, and Barbie, baby dolls, and dress up
stuff are more girls toys. Cars, trains and video games existed in a sort of
gray area, but leaned more toward males than females.  Why then would a toy,
which is in most stores retailed as gender neutral, seem to be enjoyed more
by boys than girls?

TLC has made several “outreach” attempts to attract female consumers, but
never really have captured that demographic. I always thought it was a
little insulting that a company would believe that in order to attract girls
you must color everything pink. So I look to all of you to help answer the
question that I cannot, why do are there more male AFOL’s than female.
Please don’t respond with the “I’m a girl and I like Lego” line, I know
there are female fans, I do not discredit your existence, I merely question
why there are not more like you out there in the world.

Scott