 Off-Topic / Debate / 18891
Re: Men vs. Women
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:11:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:

Snip

As I roam through the vast halls of this community that is Lugnet, I am
continually struck with the fact that males members and participants tend to
out number females by a very high margin. This is also reflected in the
ratio of people that in our local Lug, and train club; even Brickswest had a
ratio of at least 4 to 1. So I have been wondering why this is, what is it
about the brick that seems more attractive to males than females.

Snip

“I’m a girl and I like Lego” predictable I know but it is true.

My degree is in physics and I was way outnumbered by blokes as an
undergraduate. What I have notice about AFOLs though is the large proportion
that are either scientists or engineers. Maybe the fact that as a rule 'men
have better engineering brains' has something to do with it. Men have a
better concept of working in 3 dimensions in their head.

I always thought that lego was great for people with dyslexia (perhaps I am
swerving rapidly off topic but this is an off topic forum), the same goes
for the similar hobbies of model making and model trains. I, like my dad and
both brothers, suffer from dyslexia and we all enjoy these very hands on
pasttimes. Perhaps this is another point to consider as it tends to be men
who suffer from dyslexia, and apparently I remember reading, people who have
this have better spacial awareness, so I am left wondering is there an
abnormally high proportion of dysexics in the AFOL community.

Well I am way off topic now.

Fiona