 Off-Topic / Debate / 18909
18908  |  18910
Subject:
Dyslexia...and Men vs. Women
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:00:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fiona Dickinson writes:

I, like my dad and
both brothers, suffer from dyslexia and we all enjoy these very hands on
pasttimes. Perhaps this is another point to consider as it tends to be men
who suffer from dyslexia, and apparently I remember reading, people who have
this have better spacial awareness, so I am left wondering is there an
abnormally high proportion of dysexics in the AFOL community.

There is a smallish school of thought that has uncovered some indications that
dyslexia is caused by teaching kids to read before their brains are ready for
the kind of symbolic decoding that is needed.  In educational systems in which
the kids determine when they learn to read, dyslexia is completely absent.  I
wonder what (if any) link there is between spacial and symbolic comprehension.

Have we given up on the notion that boys like violence because they have to
grow up and kill mammoths while girls like babies because they have to grow up
and care for them?  Not that this means we must, or even should, encourage
these interest divisions, but understanding their origin -- even if we don't
like it, is a valuable place from which to begin thinking.

Chris