 Off-Topic / Debate / 18352
  Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...

(...) Rome vs. Carthage, the three Punic Wars. The third was pure force, resulting in the total anihilation of Carthage (even in physical terms) and enslavement of the surviving carthaginians. That is, in fact, a permanent solution. Question is, is (...) (22 years ago, 25-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...

Read of the end of Carthage: (URL) skip the last paragraph where Scipio compares Carthage to Troy. Innumerable wars have ended with complete annihilation of the enemy. The world is littered with dead cities, dead languages, untraceable peoples. The (...) (22 years ago, 25-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Carthage

(...) One could compare it to a much more present situation :-) (funny how History repeats itself over and over again) (...) Are you sure that so many wars ended that way? From my own experience, I think it's a lot more common that the "losers" of (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carthage

(...) That might be more common. Could ask the Statistics of Deadly Quarrels research folks about the majority. So maybe not so many whole civilizations, but certainly city-states and isolated population centers. Philip II at Thebes. Alexander at (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carthage

(...) Fair enough :-) (...) That is true, although it does not tell us what happened to the slaves *in time*: did their descendents eventually gain citizenship? Were they assimilated? The city state, having been overrun, was it rebuilt? Did the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carthage

(...) Who knows? But there are not too many identifiable folk who have not assimilated. That nobody really understands precisely what a helot was, is one demonstration. I know of a story of one annihilated city whose survivors petitioned their (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Carthage

(...) I recall a NG documentary where the explorers dug a basement in Jericho (sp?), and found an almost complete arsenal of human arms since Ancient Times to 1947 Independance war of Israel. In *a single* basement... so I can understand what you (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)