 Off-Topic / Debate / 18076
Re: Former Iraqi General
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:06:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Well, maybe it's time for me to be a little foolish maybe.  I think as long
as they know we could revolt, there is likely to never be the actual need to
do so -- rather like the concept of mutually assured destruction.

Isn't that the real reason behind the "gun control is good" lobby?  "Support
gun control and give up your fundamental rights today."

  That may be *one* of the reasons, but it's no more insidious than the
NRA's big-business pro-gun lobby, which has much less to do with personal
freedoms than it has to do with lining the pockets of the gun industry.
  That's not to say that the right isn't fundamental; I just don't think
it's useful to paint all of its objectors with a single brush, any more than
it's accurate to claim that all gun-rights activists are zealots on the
verge of a killing spree.

    Dave!