 Off-Topic / Debate / 17640
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:49:32 GMT

Does that make my opinion less informed than yours?

One political science course?  Well then, yes.

And if you want to own your gun, great!  I personally could care less.
Don't equate that gun with keeping your civil liberties, though.  It has
nothing to do with keeping your freedom at all.  It is just to show you how
freedom should work--you have the right to own a gun in a free nation, just
as a 5 year old has the right to own a security blanket.

See, this is the part that just seems incredibly myopic if not just plain
ignorant to anyone with any sense of world history and of U.S. history in
particular.

Y'know, those guys in the Warsaw Ghetto didn't fight back the Nazis with
strong opinions...call me crazy, but I bet many Jews stay well-armed.  As it
should be.

By contrast, those kids in Tiananmen Square were merely massacred outright.
Why? No guns.

Freed slaves in the U.S. considered gun ownership the ultimate sign that
they were indeed free.  A couple of shotguns in the household is also pretty
good security against those KKK-type nutcases.

Japanese-Americans were placed in Californian concentration camps WITHIN
LIVING MEMORY.  Why not Italians-Americans?  Why not German-Americans?

There's a famous play about a witchhunt called "The Crucible."  It is widely
understood to not actually be about the time period in which the play is
actually set.  It's actually about -- anyone, anyone? -- that's right, the
McCarthy Era.  That's only back to the 50's.

I am from the Los Angeles area originally and we used to have this fellow as
the chief of police, Daryl Gates, who thought that casual drug users ought
to be taken out and shot.  Yeah, that fills me with confidence in the police...

Who was Frank Filz referring to as political prisoners?  Was it just the
HUGE number of persons in the U.S. prison system?  Or did he have certain
supposed "criminal offenses" in mind?  Or did he mean the inordinate number
of "persons of color" sitting on death row?

So, David, when you say it can't happen again, or that it won't happen here
-- just don't be too sure about that.  It has happened very recently, and is
likely to happen again. Frankly, it's happening all the time...we merely
remain overwhelming tolerant of the abuses.

Do you not realize what is happening even as I write to Arab-Americans?
Catch a clue, buddy.  Your being uninformed is not nearly as infuriating as
your smugness about that very condition -- and yes, I am calling you on
that.  Your complacency angers me -- it speaks of forgetfullness of that
which should never be forgotten: the suffering of others for political and
economic gain.

Civility is merely the veneer worn by the world's most pointlessly violent
animal: the human being.

-- Hop-Frog