 Off-Topic / Debate / 16965
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:32:53 GMT

What gets my undies in a bunch is when ignorant people group *all* Christians
together.  Because one sorely misguided wacko such as Andrea Yates, who claims
to be a Christian offs all of her kids, that must mean that *ALL* Christians
are guilty of slaughtering innocents.  It just doesn't wash, and it's
disingenuous to imply so.  99.9% of all professed Christians would condemn her
actions.

Can you not see the contradiction you're broadcasting?  You are constantly
sputtering about "athiests" and "leftists" as if either group can be painted
with a single brush, but then you get your undies in a bunch when people
applie your own standards to the club to which you belong!  Disingenuous
doesn't begin to cover it!

Back up there, schoolboy.  Atheists *can* be categorized insofar as that they
all have one thing in common that binds them-- no belief in God.  But you would
be hard pressed to find a single common belief among *all* Christians, short of
their belief in God (in which case you are hardly talking about Christians in
particular).

Further, I attacked *extremist* Muslims, which are a group who *all* believe in
the concept of jihad and find the killing of innocents *perfectly* acceptable.
You *will not* find such agreement in Christianity, or any other religion
AFAIK (although you *might* find it in some *extreme* fringe group, but they
would be condemned by the group as a whole anyway).  The equation of such
extremist groups and their larger groups is what I find objectionable.

<snip>

And let's be honest; can you name an athiest *prior* to the last hundred
years who qualifies as one of the "greatest butchers of all time?"  I can
think of several Xtians who fit that category, spanning a far greater
stretch  of time than the past century.

This really isn't what I want to argue about-- I really haven't a qualm with
atheists WRT to this.  I just found it interesting that RM didn't list them,
that's all.  Unless you *want* to argue that atheists have *no* blood on their
hands, I have nothing more to say about it.

-John