 Off-Topic / Debate / 16976
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:43:04 GMT

Can you not see the contradiction you're broadcasting?  You are constantly
sputtering about "athiests" and "leftists" as if either group can be painted
with a single brush, but then you get your undies in a bunch when people
applie your own standards to the club to which you belong!  Disingenuous
doesn't begin to cover it!

Back up there, schoolboy.

  Easy there, zealot.

Atheists *can* be categorized insofar as that they all have one thing in
common that binds them-- no belief in God.  But you would be hard pressed to
find a single common belief among *all* Christians, short of their belief in
God (in which case you are hardly talking about Christians in particular).

  How about an alleged belief in Christ?  That seems like a binding factor
that unites Andrea Yates, Torquemada, Emperor Constantine, David Koresh,
Mother Theresa, and Padre Pio, regardless of the different manifestations of
each.
  Your willingness to lump athiests into one bunch is exactly illustrative
of your bigotry and, frankly, the bigotry that pervades this country in
which we pretend to value freedom of religion.   I do *NOT* group all Xtians
under one tent except when rhetorically forced to do so.

And let's be honest; can you name an athiest *prior* to the last hundred
years who qualifies as one of the "greatest butchers of all time?"  I can
think of several Xtians who fit that category, spanning a far greater
stretch  of time than the past century.

This really isn't what I want to argue about-- I really haven't a qualm with
atheists WRT to this.  I just found it interesting that RM didn't list them,
that's all.  Unless you *want* to argue that atheists have *no* blood on their
hands, I have nothing more to say about it.

  I would venture to say that in the history of the world the blood on
athiests' collective hands is a drop in the ocean compared to the blood on
theists' hands.  Truly religion elevates the character of man to its noblest
stature!

     Dave!