 Off-Topic / Debate / 16975
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:56:38 GMT

What term would *you* use for a homicidal, innocent-butchering group who
believes that they are acting on behalf of God?

Xtians?

In fairness, John was looking for groups, not individuals.  Any bigish group is
going to have some fruitcakes.

What gets my undies in a bunch is when ignorant people group *all*
Christians together.  Because one sorely misguided wacko such as Andrea
Yates, who claims to be a Christian offs all of her kids, that must mean
that *ALL* Christians are guilty of slaughtering innocents.  It just
doesn't wash, and it's disingenuous to imply so.

I agree.  And I don't think that anyone was really doing that.

That's bull, Chris.  Look at RM's reply to my question that *started* this
whole thing:

Me: What term would *you* use for a homicidal, innocent-butchering group who
believes that they are acting on behalf of God?

RM: Xtians?

Richard was
pointing out that if you go back just a little bit, you can find pretty good
examples of slaughter in every religion.  I happen to think that any religion
(or other social grouping) where the adherents feel persecuted and threatened
is fairly likely to be naughty in large groups.  Christianity did it earlier in
history when it felt threatened.  Islam may be doing the same now and for
similar reasons.

99.9% of all professed Christians would condemn her actions.

But 99.9% of Muslims and atheists would too.

That's my point.  I am not condemning *all* of Islam, just the radicals who are
terrorizing.

The biggest difference is that you specified _extremist_.  I can point to
_extremist_ Christians and say that a larger than .1% of them support the
bombing of abortion clinics.  Is there still a difference?

No!!  Thank you for getting my point!  I *am* talking about extremists!!!
Extremist Christians who bomb abortion clinics are just as guilty as the scum
who were responsible for 9-11.

Yet RM accuses Christians (no qualifications as to extreme or not) as being
homicidal innocent butcherers.  All I have been trying to point out that one
cannot categorically condemn an entire group for the actions of a few, and yet
it is *I* who gets accused of broad stroke generalizations of groups.

Whatever.

-John