 Off-Topic / Debate / 16974
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:36:39 GMT

I think Dave disagrees with that stand.  I might be the only one here who
thinks that.  We all have blood on our hands.

Guilt by association?  If I did not stand idly by whilst my country was off
committing atrocities--If I was protesting, picketing, and writing letters,
am I pardoned from communal guilt?

It's not really my job to assign guilt to you.  That's up to you.  I feel
vaguely uneasy about sitting by and paying taxes when my government(s) do
wrong.  And I feel like guilt is virtually always shared by the people involved
in some mishap.

Would I actually have to pack up and
leave my country out of protest against the atrocities, or would it be
better for me to stay 'inside' the country, working within the system for
change for the good?

That's a tough calculus.  If you could figure out a magnitude or coefficient of
harm caused by your participation, and then compare it to the coefficient of
good, you would know.  And we would probably never agree about how to calculate
those numbers even if we decided to go about trying.  But I realize that we all
make compromises in life.

I work for a Fortune 100 Pharmaceutical company while philosophically opposing
animal testing.  It's a strange world.

I prefer the latter, and I would sleep at night
knowing I'm still doing what I could to affect change.

Great!

Chris