 Off-Topic / Debate / 16987
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:08:42 GMT

Back up there, schoolboy.  Atheists *can* be categorized insofar as that they
all have one thing in common that binds them-- no belief in God.  But you would
be hard pressed to find a single common belief among *all* Christians, short of
their belief in God (in which case you are hardly talking about Christians in
particular).

   Wait a second.  I thought the unifying belief of "Christians" was
   in the divinity of Jesus Christ--unless something has changed, and
   groups like the Unitarians are now "acceptable" to the bulk of
   Christianity as Christian faiths (not that Unitarians themselves
   would accept such a characterization anymore, of course).

This really isn't what I want to argue about-- I really haven't a qualm with
atheists WRT to this.  I just found it interesting that RM didn't list them,
that's all.  Unless you *want* to argue that atheists have *no* blood on their
hands, I have nothing more to say about it.

   How many have blood on their hands as a direct consequence of their
   atheism?  Now some do because of an ideology that includes atheism
   (Stalin comes instantly to mind, and that's a big big one to have)
   but trying to land accusations for genocide in the modern world on
   religion or lack thereof strikes me as unnecessarily reductionist.
   For example, in much of the world, Catholics and Protestants live
   in peace together; but in Northern Ireland, the situation has differed
   dramatically.  In the post-Enlightenment world, religion is just one
   of many cultural factors (albeit an important one) that combine to
   create whatever relationships groups of people enjoy with one another.

   best

   LFB