 Off-Topic / Debate / 16086
Re: Debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:40:22 GMT

I value your contributions; I hope you change your mind in the very near
future. I'm sure others agree with me.

  The "need" for OT.Debate has often been discussed, and good points have
been raised both pro and con.  I suppose the bottom line is that OT
squabbles will arise in most of the LUGNET discussion groups as a matter of
course, so it's helpful to have a place to vent them, even if that group
itself becomes more of a morass of more asses (myself cheerfully included!).
  The other problem is that many of us have been here for years, so we've
trodden the main paths pretty thoroughly; religion, politics, sex, violence,
finance, media, censorship, etc. etc. etc.  This would all be streamlined if
you'd all realize that I'm always right, but in the absence of that zany
epiphany, the forum can become stale for the veterans.

  Anyway, the coolest thing for me about .debate is that sometimes I find
myself in agreement on unexpected issues with people with whom I am
ordinarily in sharp disagreement.  For instance, Chris Weeks and I are at
odds 95% of the time (I guess that's sort of a pun, if Larry's reading), but
it's the moments of convergence that fascinate me.

     Dave!