 Off-Topic / Debate / 15901
Re: Curious, if true
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:12:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:

Have you tried the tea?

No, I haven't.  The seeds are good for their nutritional values, but I
don't know about the tea.

It is supposed to be good, and have a relaxing effect. No surprise. But I
have not tried myself though (so far; I won't say it is not in my plans to
do so in due time).

By the time the US constitution was written, the drug issue was
still not a social problem: all drugs were smoked (as opposed to
the current IV ones).  So it is fair to think the general public
would be less worried with growing hemp (which is, after all, not
much different from tobacco) or any other smoke-drug.

I don't know when the habit of smoking hemp started, but you are
probably correct that it was not a social problem at the time.  The
alleged constitutional hemp praise was probably due to the many uses
of the hemp fibre, not the narcotic content.

In some countries in Europe, it is legal to grow the non-THC hemp
variant.  (This one is non-narcotic.)  Some people make clothes, paper
and other items from this hemp (as well as breakfast cereal seeds!).
But these items are mostly sold as just novelty items.  They have
little real value beyond that.

I believe Portugal is one of those countries, at least up to a point. But
the Authorities always find something wrong and destroy the plantations.
A kid was arrested some months ago because he was taking care of his dad's
hemp field (a small one in the backyard); apparently, the police thought it
was to be sold... but the owner claims it is for his own use as painkiller.
Anyway, the story is a bit revolting - a number of successive mistakes has
made a minor remain in jail, even though that is forbidden. Major shame for
our justice. :-(

Some results show that multiple sclerosis and similar neurologic
conditions can be treated with the THC from hemp plants.  Perhaps
there is a future for the medical use of hemp?

Perhaps.
Not only hemp, most drugs have *some* medicinal value. It is up to the
doctors discretion to prescribe whatever is adequate - that is why there is
opium and cocain in hospitals. This whole pharmaceutical issue is very
"dark", if you know what I mean.

Pedro