 Off-Topic / Debate / 15841
    Re: Urantia? —Dave Schuler
   (...) I've only ever heard of it in passing. The official site is www.urantia.org and features an overview of the doctrines and history of that belief system, as well as an extensive discussion of "The Urantia Book," an anthology of teachings (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Urantia? —Richard Marchetti
   Thanks, Dave! I did, of course, find the first link of my own before posing the request. Some dead links detracted from the experience there -- at least their central texts links were down when I visited last night. The second link you provided is a (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Urantia? —Dave Schuler
   (...) I figured that you would at least have seen the main site, of course, but it seemed a good place to start! (...) A little? Nah! 8^) (...) Unfortunately, a quick run around the 'net doesn't return much other than decidedly pro- and decidedly (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Urantia? —Scott Arthur
   (...) I thought what is happening in France would add to your comments: Scientologists face Paris ban (URL) "an essentially commercial enterprise," which offered members "the illusory promise of revival" in their lives. "The methods of Scientology, (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Urantia? —Richard Marchetti
   (...) "The trial, the first to be heard under tough new anti-cult legislation, was brought by three former Scientology members who accuse the organisation of harassing them after they had left." It seems to me that having "anti-cult" legislation (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Urantia? —Dave Schuler
     (...) Yeah, I've wondered about this issue as well. For me, much can be made of the fact that the "religion" in question [allegedly] goes to great lengths to restrict its member's freedoms, such as freedom to choose a different religion, so there (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        scientology conspiracy in Hollywood (was Re: Urantia?) —Scott Arthur
   (...) I’m afraid I don’t know enough about French culture/legislation to really answer your point. But you appear to be inferring that this could never happen in the USA? Could the scientologists not just be labelled “un-American” and then a witch (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)