 Off-Topic / Debate / 15773
    Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Richard Marchetti
   (...) Like DVD region issues? Yikes! Talk about shooting themselves in the foot... I go with the book license as suggested by Frank -- I own a copy of a thing, how I use it is up to me. If I own the song on vinyl -- I can dupe it to CD or MP3. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Dave Schuler
     (...) Ding! I got it! In my broad-sighted way I was thinking only of the problems of the original copy, rather than the fair-use backups. (...) No, but I sometimes spin a CD on my finger and shine a laser pointer on it for the economical way to (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Richard Marchetti
      (...) I didn't so much mean between you and I as between the music industry and the rest of us. (...) Actually, I think you are still able to make the copy for the friend under the Fair Use doctrine, but I'd have to research it further. Cursory (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Frank Filz
      (...) Something to consider is that a low volume item will have a higher cost. Some cost factors for a CD: - how long does it sit on the stores shelf (anyone know what fraction of a penny it costs for a CD to sit on the shelf of a music store for a (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Ross Crawford
     (...) Why do people list LEGO sets for (and get) exorbitant prices on eBay (and elsewhere)? If it's something they're interested in, and they can't be bothered searching for a better price, they'll pay what's asked. ROSCO (23 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Copyright/Fair use question —Ross Crawford
   (...) I agree it's limiting their own sales more than anything else, but much as I dislike the idea, I think they have the right to distribute DVDs as they see fit. Of course with so many non-region DVD players still available, it's a pretty (...) (23 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)