 Off-Topic / Debate / 13651
Re: Anyone else think this is a bad idea?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:46:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Every country in the U.N. Secruity Council has dirt under the nails, Syria
is no better or worse.

You can't really mean that, can you?

Why not?

Oh, and if you really truly are delusional enought to think all countries
are equally bad, this REALLY ought to get you foaming.

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg092801.shtml

It's a defense of Berlusconi (who happened to be 100% correct when he said
"We should be conscious of the superiority of our civilization, which
consists of a value system that has given people widespread prosperity in
those countries that embrace it, and guarantees respect for human rights and
religion." Spot on, there ARE differences in civilisations...)

++Lar

Are you saying this war should change to a war against Islam?

No, but I am saying that when people here and elsewhere pop up and say
"we're no better than they are" that those people are delusional,
disingenious or deliberately distortive.

You are welcome to your new friend:

He's not my friend. He just happens to be right about something.

From the Guardian
==+==
Mr Berlusconi is living proof that there is nothing inherently superior
about western civilisation. The Italian prime minister is a megalomaniac who
has compared himself with Justinian, Napoleon and Jesus, though the public
figure he most resembles is Robert Maxwell.

Mr Berlusconi has twice been convicted of corruption and is again under
investigation. He has welcomed post-fascist and racist parties into his
coalitions.

Unlike other leaders, who are now tackling international money laundering,
Mr Berlusconi (who keeps much of his money in Switzerland) is currently
trying to pass laws to block such efforts. With civilised friends like
these, who needs barbarians?

Ah yes, the smear.

The Guardian can't attack the basic idea without exposing itself as anti
freedom so it smears the speaker. Very mature. Is that your best debunk? At
least *try* to refute the ideas, eh? David Low gave it a (weak) shot, but
you're not as good a thinker as he is, I guess.

Just another reason to discount the Guardian as a source and you as a
critical thinker.