 Off-Topic / Debate / 13652
Re: More on Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
You are going to have to do a little better than that at debunking...

Okay...

Is this quote "hogwash"?

"Of course, "the right of Israel to exist" has never been accepted by its
enemies, especially Yasser Arafat. "

Tell me, is this hogwash, straight from the Yitzhak Rabin Center for Israel
Studies?:

http://www.rabincenter.org.il/english/bio_12.html

Nope. It's partly a report of what was said in 1993, and partly wishful
thinking about how events would unfold. Had these events unfolded as
promised, the PA would recognise the right of Israel to exist, correct?

Yet you still apparently do not, correct?

I went to what I think is the official PA site www.pna.net (although I
welcome correction if someone else knows a better URL) and I cannot find
much in the way of reiteration of the words Rabin quotes. Perhaps the PA
doesn't consider it important to acknowledge? Perhaps what was said in 1993
no longer matters?

But anyway, actions speak louder than words and PA actions do not fit the
1993 statements.

(I note you haven't answered whether you think it has a right to exist
either... I'm starting to assume "no", and that you repudiate the UN
resolution but I haven't been able to elucidate an answer yet)

Didn't I addressed that off-line with you?

I don't think so but I could be wrong.

If not, obviously I reject those
resolutions because they were made in haste and were not accepted by all
parties (and look at the result of hasty decisions). I think things could
have worked out better if the U.N. approached the matter more carefully and
considered the long term repercussions of creating the states of Israel and
Palestine. The whole region was hoodwinked by the Europeans, who sort of
threw a match in the house and took off running. Africa is much the same way
after colonialism and imperialism.

Was that a "yes" or "no", I can't tell for sure. Too much bombast. Although
I did see "reject those resolutions" so I guess, "no"?

From the other one:

"Just a few hours before our assault on the Taliban, the Voice of Palestine,
Yasser Arafat's official radio station, "informed" its listeners that the
FBI had discovered that Israel was behind the September 11th mass murder in
New York and Washington, and had arrested several teams of Mossad agents. "

That one, I am certainly interested in hearing whether it's true or not. I
don't speak Arabic, so can't say. Fits the MO for the PA though.

A good bedtime story at best...

This presumably would be verifiable independently, right? If you don't know
if it's true or not just say "I don't know" instead of making with the
obfuscation.

++Lar