 Off-Topic / Debate / 13612
Re: More on Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 02:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
For a moment, I couldn't tell whether I was reading something from the
National Review or the World Zionist Org's website. What a bunch of hogwash.
At least it was worth a good laugh.

You are going to have to do a little better than that at debunking...

Is this quote "hogwash"?

"Of course, "the right of Israel to exist" has never been accepted by its
enemies, especially Yasser Arafat. "

(I note you haven't answered whether you think it has a right to exist
either... I'm starting to assume "no", and that you repudiate the UN
resolution but I haven't been able to elucidate an answer yet)

Is this one hogwash too?

"Israel has been a loyal ally in other ways. During the Gulf War in 1991,
Saddam Hussein deliberately attacked Israel with 39 Scud missiles and
threatened to strike it with chemical and biological weapons. Rather than
retaliate with its military might, the U.S. persuaded Israel to stand down —
fearing moderate Arab states (and Syria) would drop out of another
American-led coalition. "

Or perhaps this is hogwash?

"In 1986, when Ronald Reagan ordered U.S. bombers in Britain to attack
Libya, three of our allies — France, Germany, and Italy — refused to
cooperate in the strike, thereby endangering the mission and American crews.
The bombers were forced to fly for a longer period of time and to refuel
several times in the air. Yet, no lectures from Shields on how the people of
these countries owe their liberty to America."

These are all verifiable historical facts.

From the other one:

"Just a few hours before our assault on the Taliban, the Voice of Palestine,
Yasser Arafat's official radio station, "informed" its listeners that the
FBI had discovered that Israel was behind the September 11th mass murder in
New York and Washington, and had arrested several teams of Mossad agents. "

That one, I am certainly interested in hearing whether it's true or not. I
don't speak Arabic, so can't say. Fits the MO for the PA though.

But I agree with the *conclusion* drawn in that one... the PA and Arafat are
part of the problem, not the solution. The Palestinians will never be free
under the brutal yoke of the PA.