 Off-Topic / Debate / 13804
Re: More on Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:30:49 GMT

Is this quote "hogwash"?

"Of course, "the right of Israel to exist" has never been accepted by its
enemies, especially Yasser Arafat. "

Arafat may have taken some time to accept, but by now he accepted. Doesn't
help much, though, given ...
... the number of Palestines organized in more radical organizations than PA
... the current Israeli administration
"Especially Yasser Arafat" is so moderate by now, that I see more danger in
the fact that his influence diminishes more and more.

Or perhaps this is hogwash?

"In 1986, when Ronald Reagan ordered U.S. bombers in Britain to attack
Libya, three of our allies — France, Germany, and Italy — refused to
cooperate in the strike, thereby endangering the mission and American crews.
The bombers were forced to fly for a longer period of time and to refuel
several times in the air. Yet, no lectures from Shields on how the people of
these countries owe their liberty to America."

This statement sounds like the US have a god given right to do whatever they
want wherever in the world. And whoever happens to not agree with them, be
it only on the detail level of *how* to deal with a certain situation, is
bad. Too authoritarian, and too black and white, for my taste.

But I agree with the *conclusion* drawn in that one... the PA and Arafat are
part of the problem, not the solution. The Palestinians will never be free
under the brutal yoke of the PA.

Maybe not free in *your* interpretation of the word, but why should you be
concerned? Let *them* figure what *they* want, as long as they adhere to
their treaties with Israel, and to international law ...

:wq

Horst