 Off-Topic / Debate / 13242
Re: What we can do... (my 2 cents)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:14:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Examples of Arab influence are all but scarce around here. And I'd even risk
saying that the New World was colonized by europeans thanks to an arab
invention: the lateen sail, said so because of the use the Southern European
nations made of it. And it is arguable that England or France would send
expeditions due West if Spain and Portugal hadn't done it first...

Well noted on the arab influences, but the lateen sail was supplanted by the
square-rigged sail for transatlantic voyages fairly quickly, though it
remained popular in the Mediterranean for many centuries.  Columbus' caravel
Nina was converted to a square rig, for example, though much early Spanish
and Portugese exploration was with lateen-rigged caravels.  There is some
evidence that the Romans may have used lateen sails, though what I have seen
is far from conclusive.

All true... but I still believe that the concept behind the lateen sail
(triangle + rotation around mast) allowed travelling against the wind,
unlike square sails - better for back-winds (no pun intended).
And I'm not sure if ALL the sails in Niña were square... notice the front
and back, maybe there is one small triangle. But I honestly don't know, the
last time I saw a replica was in '92.
Besides, the hull of "Caravela", and square-rigged "Nau" and "Galeão" were
all of adapted arab design (maybe "dhow"?). Only later the English
introduced lighter hulls for their own ships, and sunk the Armada.

Let's not forget 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc.

Maybe the more important is the introduction of ZERO all by itself... even
though the indians had developed it first, it were the arabs that brought it
to us. AND Zero allows binary language, hence computing (a digital process),
hence... LUGNET!

So it is interesting to notice that the simple fact of us talking here today
is due to arab influence on western culture... ;-)

Pedro