 Local / Portugal / 86
Re: What we can do... (my 2 cents)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Pedro Silva writes:

All true... but I still believe that the concept behind the lateen sail
(triangle + rotation around mast) allowed travelling against the wind,
unlike square sails - better for back-winds (no pun intended).
And I'm not sure if ALL the sails in Niña were square... notice the front
and back, maybe there is one small triangle. But I honestly don't know, the
last time I saw a replica was in '92.
Besides, the hull of "Caravela", and square-rigged "Nau" and "Galeão" were
all of adapted arab design (maybe "dhow"?). Only later the English
introduced lighter hulls for their own ships, and sunk the Armada.

I believe the mizzen mast was lateen rigged on the Nina, as on many ships
until the gaff-rigged sail comes along (ahhh, the Armada Flagship, now
available from Lego S@H).  I love putting lateen sails on my Lego ships - I
keep meaning to cut my own sails so I can get the proper size differential
for a Xebec or Dhow.

The Dhow was something of a double-ended affair, so I'm not sure that the
Caravel hull shape was taken from it, though perhaps the carvel construction
was (hull planks mounted flush edge-to-edge rather than overlapping
(clinker) planks - for you less nautically-inclined readers).

The English didn't really sink the Armada.  They did what they had to do:
disrupt the planned invasion, and not that much else.  The ensuing storm
took care of the Armada.

Bruce