 Off-Topic / Debate / 12776
Re: Ann Coultier (was: Re: Jerry Falwell blames feminists, gays, lesbians, ACLU, others...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Yeah.  And the other columnists are just as bad.

Not sure I agree. That may be a bit of a broad brush, there are some foamers
there, yes, but I did spend a little time reading a number of other
columnists that I felt had merit.

the guy saying what a swell guy Guliani has been in this has a great point.
Guliani has been an absolute model of how to be a mayor when you have the
biggest crisis ever on your hands. Calm, cool, collected, unflustered, made
great suggestions, properly deflected discussion of foreign policy because
it's not his purview, etc. Bush could take some lessons, except I don't
think he's up to the challenge. His finest hour will come when he lets his
advisors run things and answer questions and he only goes places and prays
and stuff.

So do the guys pointing out that if people panic and try to run the pumps
dry because they're not paying attention (the majors were all saying there
was no threat to the fuel supply) that raising prices in order to make
people ration their purchases is better than first come first served, in
which scenario, perhaps, the people who really need gas that day can't buy
any. The market works better at allocating scarce resources (even under
false scarcity) than just letting the pumps run dry needlessly.

And I think Buckley is right on, if Saddam has his hands in this,
disassembly of that particular tinpot regime is way overdue.

++Lar