 Off-Topic / Debate / 12751
Re: Jerry Falwell
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:23:52 GMT

Daniel writes:
...just another slimeball misrepresenting Christianity.

How can something with so many sects be misrepresented? I mean, in fairness,
aren't Jerry and his followers allowed to espouse whatever interpretation of
quasi-fundamentalist Xtianity they wish?

They can espouse it, but can they call it Christianity if it doesn't seem to
fit? It doesn't fit what I understand Christianity to be...

I mean, isn't that kind of the same as the Red Army selling stock in their
phone company and calling it communism? Just because someone says something
is something doesn't mean it is if it doesn't fit the definition.

Note that this isn't the same as saying they can't hold whatever misguided,
prejudiced, stupid views they like... They can. They just shouldn't claim
them to be something they are not.