 Off-Topic / Debate / 12212
    Re: DMCA —Dave Schuler
   (...) To what, specifically, do you object? I'd be interested to explore this topic here on OT.Debate, but I'd like to know something more concrete about your views. In any case, "Know about it/Fear it" is little more than demagoguery. (...) Well, (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: DMCA —Kirby Warden
     (...) First off, it infringes on free usage rights. According to the normal copyright laws in the U.S., we have limited usage rights to other people's intellectual properties that allow us to quote, critique, distribute (with-out profit) them. The (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: DMCA —Dave Schuler
      (...) So you're objection is that the DMCA prevents the theft of intellectual property? I don't see the problem. Copyright law for motion pictures, for instance, has long prohibited non-licensed public broadcast, so why should you be allowed to play (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: DMCA —Kirby Warden
      (...) You're missing the point. If it was a copyright infringement to play music at a club, there would be no independent clubs in operation. The only legal clubs allowed would be properties of those same copyright holders that prohibit movies from (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: DMCA —James Powell
       (...) Kurby, I hope you have your copy from Copyleft of DIVX :) I know I have mine. Support for organizations like EFF and 2600 is still needed (the 2600 case has so far cost somewhat in excess of 1 million USD) The bad thing is that it is very (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: DMCA —Frank Filz
     (...) Copyright has never allowed you to copy your favorite songs onto a tape or CD to give to a friend. Fair use probably does allow making a custom mix for your own use (so long as you don't then sell or return the originals). Fair use probably (...) (23 years ago, 8-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: DMCA —Ross Crawford
   (...) Dunno about Kirby, but the bit I don't like about it is here (URL) even (URL) here's another reason (URL) isn't about copyright protection, it's about controlling the distribution of copyrighted material, and the owners of the copyright aren't (...) (23 years ago, 10-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)