 Off-Topic / Debate / 12197
    Excellent article —Matt Brooks
   I just buzzed through Time.com and saw THIS excellent article on parenting. (URL) 23 years old, and approaching the brand new, first ever, niece/nephew event horizon in the middle of September, I've found my thoughts turning more and more to (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Kirby Warden
     That is a good article. I'm sure someone wants numbers and links to twenty-year studies, but I have to say it was good. As a parent myself, with a second on the way; having observed how other parents do their job and recollecting what my parents did (...) (23 years ago, 1-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Excellent article —Christopher L. Weeks
     (...) I would hope that everyone would like to see 20-year longitudinal studies. Then we would have some real knowledge to bandy about. (...) How? It didn't actually do anything. Mostly it came on pretty strongly that kids these days have too much, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Excellent article —Kirby Warden
     In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snipped everything> You assume too much. Or maybe I just didn't give enough detail on my parenting practices. My wife and I determine the law in our home. I balance the law in our home with (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Excellent article —Christopher L. Weeks
     (...) Why? (...) So not only do they have no rights whatever, but you don't even have any responsibility to them? What if you are wrong about what they need? (...) Because you reject science as a way to determine and refine our understanding of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Excellent article —Kirby Warden
     I'm not sure if i'm not clarifying myself well enough or if you are simply prodding me. I think I've said all that I need to on this topic, but I'll mull it over for a couple of days just in case. In short, i'm not trying to change your mind, simply (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) Sure. I'm deeply disturbed by the seeming perception that the only two states that a child can occupy are a) subordinate inferiors and b) overindulged family tyrants. Why is it so tough for people to grasp that there is an actually fair way to (...) (23 years ago, 11-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Daniel Jassim
   (...) Of course children deserve love and fair treatment, but it doesn't make sense to me to say we (adults) shouldn't tell kids what to do. Perhaps you're being too general with that statement. Parents ARE here to tell kids (and show them) what to (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) If you mean that you think I'm being too general, then we disagree. If you mean you think that what I meant was something more specific than what I wrote, then that is not correct. I believe that inherent in our humanity is the productive (...) (23 years ago, 12-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Charles Eric McCarthy
   (...) Do you have any references to good books that describe your ideas about child-rearing? Especially how to handle a transition from an authoritarian regime to one such as you describe? Thanks, /Eric McC/ (23 years ago, 14-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Excellent article —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) That's a fantastic question. But not specifically. The several books by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish are considered classics by those who believe that 'freedom without license' is the way to go, but they are actually somewhat more (...) (23 years ago, 15-Aug-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)