 Off-Topic / Debate / 11173
  Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

Occasionally, I am in favour of government intervention in the employment market. Despite that, when I read the story below, I thought this was the one area where companies and individuals did not need handouts / subsidies. Can it really be ~OK~ for (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

(...) Why is that? (...) If they have to rob from the rich (or more accurately, middle class) to give to the poor, at least this way they're doing it in a way that supplies the poor a way to see to themselves. What could you possibly object to? (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

(...) Because right now there are 1000's of people moving from the former eastern block to the UK under there own steam to work on UK farms etc. As far as I know, this is at no direct cost to the UK tax payer - why should it be? (...) Are the middle (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

(...) It's probably cheaper to move the welfare recipient to another location with an open job market than try to find them a job in an area with a tight job market, and supporting them the whole time. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it does (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

If it both saves money in the long run and gets people viable work, I don't see the problem (except of course that any government program is open to abuse or expansion beyond all reason). Reduces my taxes, too. This is a much better use of public (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

(...) Related: I had heard from a friend of the family when we lived in NY that NC had a history (in the 60s and 70s) of giving NC welfare recepients one way bus fare to NY. This got the person or family off the NC welfare rolls, and NY welfare (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?

(...) I agree with you. Like you say, it does make some sense. If there were jobs in that state it would make more sense (to me) to re-train them rather than export them. However, if you read the whole text, it is clear that they are moving from (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)