 Off-Topic / Debate / 11183
Re: Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:25:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

My hunch would be that the State is trying to protect it's own interests.
It's probably cheaper to move the welfare recipient to another location with
an open job market than try to find them a job in an area with a tight job
market, and supporting them the whole time.

Related: I had heard from a friend of the family when we lived in NY that NC
had a history (in the 60s and 70s) of giving NC welfare recepients one way
bus fare to NY. This got the person or family off the NC welfare rolls, and
NY welfare benefits were more generous which was a win from the short term
perspective for both the NC taxpayer and the recepient. The effect on the NY
taxpayer apparently wasn't taken into effect.

I never checked this story out, it was just hearsay. Sounds plausible
enough, though.

++Lar