 Off-Topic / Debate / 11173
11172  |  11174
Subject:
Is it ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:38:32 GMT

Occasionally, I am in favour of government intervention in the employment
market. Despite that, when I read the story below, I thought this was the
one area where companies and individuals did not need handouts / subsidies.
Can it really be ~OK~ for government to subsidise profit making industry(?)
in this way?

The Story:
California tells jobless 'Go east' and pays for the journey for relocation
In the Depression years of the 30s, tens of thousands of unemployed left the
Dust Bowl of America in Oklahoma and its neighbouring states and headed west
for California in search of work, their plight captured by John Steinbeck in
The Grapes of Wrath and by the haunting photographs of Dorothea Lange.

But now the impoverished unemployed in California are heading east -
encouraged by a controversial scheme that gives people on welfare a one-way
ticket to leave their homes and look for jobs elsewhere.

The rest is here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4206891,00.html