 Off-Topic / Debate / 10054
  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) That was in the bad old days... most other countries were doing pretty much the same - or wanted to. But sure, I'm still not proud of it. Anyhow, we have rebranded ourselves as the "UK" :-) (...) I view some laws as protection for the poor or (...) (23 years ago, 27-Apr-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Heh. It may be sobering to point out that the "brand" of UK was born in 1800, following the forced Act of Union with Ireland. That's when the name becomes valid, and it starts a new era of incredible colonial bloodshed. But I'm not sure all of (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Great! So now that your country has the benefits of conquest -- wealth and power -- it is possible for it to show the "kinder and gentler" face of colonialism -- the hypocrisy of the congenial tyrant. I'd just like you to know that other (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Indeed. But is was not until more recently untail it came into common usage. Most of the the world still refers to the UK as Britain, or more annoyingly England. (...) I do not doubt what you are saying. However, I have to say that the same (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) I assume you live in the USA. Does your economy, some would argue, not owe a lot to slavery, exploitation of native Americans, pillaging of the developing world by multi-nationals and destruction of the global environment? I could well say to (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Those have long been a problem. I can agree with respect to "UK" not being the common usage; however, the official usage dates from that period, and in the records it's standard from 1800 even when the records are informal (although the (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)