 Off-Topic / Debate / 10003
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:04:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
So, as an artist putting out a message of mass human suffering, the least
Spielberg could have done at that moment before the world was to speak out
against the genocide still going on in the world at that very moment. No, he
stuck to the Jews only and, in my opinion, reduced their tragedy to cliche.

It should be noted that Speilberg is Jewish.  This doesn't forgive his
ignoring other pogroms, of course, but it is significant.

About 28 million Russians (that's soldiers and civilians) died because of
the Germans. How come we almost never hear about them? That's more than 4
times the estimate of 6 million Jews! Really, how come we don't hear about
this?

This has been hashed over in this newsgroup before; here's my take (1) on
it:  http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=122

(A few of those points I've since retracted, especially my thin,
north-of-the-mason-dixon-line view of Southern USians.)

The long and short of it is, what's popular is what's politically correct,
and history is written by the winners.  You have a complaint about what
groups are popular?  You gotta propagandize against them, then.  You have a
complaint about how history is remembered?  Then win the next war.  It
sucks, it's evil, and it promotes genocide, but it's how the system works.

(Um, it probably should also be noted that my BCM (Bitter Cynicism Module)
wrote most of the preceeding paragraph.)

Cheers,
- jsproat