 Off-Topic / Debate / 10004
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:25:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
So, as an artist putting out a message of mass human suffering, the least
Spielberg could have done at that moment before the world was to speak out
against the genocide still going on in the world at that very moment. No, he
stuck to the Jews only and, in my opinion, reduced their tragedy to cliche.

It should be noted that Speilberg is Jewish.  This doesn't forgive his
ignoring other pogroms, of course, but it is significant.

  In my view, since the film was about Schindler's List, anyone outside of
the direct effect of The List is irrelevant to the film.  That's not to say
their deaths weren't tragic or aren't signficant, but they are beyond the
intended scope of the film.  The message is about mass human suffering, but
the encapsulation of that message came, for Spielberg and the film, in the
form of those Jews saved by Schindler.
  I don't see how representing the plight of a specific group of people
reduces that plight to a cliche.  Any truth-grounded story is necessarily
focused on the group to which it pertains, and if others are left out,
that's a shame, but it shouldn't be a surprise.  The message conveyed by a
portrayal of that tragedy can have broad-reaching implications, but not
everyone touched by the message need be expressly represented by it.

     Dave!