 Off-Topic / Debate / 10005
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:51:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
This has been hashed over in this newsgroup before; here's my take (1) on
it:  http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=122

Oops! Your link took me to someone else's post about kids. Try it again :)

The long and short of it is, what's popular is what's politically correct,
and history is written by the winners.  You have a complaint about what
groups are popular?  You gotta propagandize against them, then.  You have a
complaint about how history is remembered?  Then win the next war.  It
sucks, it's evil, and it promotes genocide, but it's how the system works.

Or doesn't work, since we keep having wars. :(

Yep, the American media does a great job to stir up hatred as to somehow
justify it's shameful foreign policy. Omitting facts about the Holocaust by
repeating (and repeating) only the figures on Jewish victims is not real
journalism, it's blatant propaganda. The same goes for the media creating or
reinforcing the stereotypes of the "lazy Mexican," the "black criminal," the
"bad Asian driver," the "Arab terrorist," or the "suffering Jew." We laugh
about it without realizing how destructive it is to create a generation of
bigots.

Dan