 Off-Topic / Debate / 10006
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
This has been hashed over in this newsgroup before; here's my take (1) on
it:  http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=122
Oops! Your link took me to someone else's post about kids. Try it again :)

Whoa.  Dude.  Freaky.

The article number was 1227, but the trailing "7" seems to have been chopped
off.  Let's see if this works:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=1227

...failing that, try this...

/off-topic/debate/?n=1227

The disclaimer still stands, though.  ;-)

Yep, the American media does a great job to stir up hatred as to somehow
justify it's shameful foreign policy.

Hmm.

It's difficult to blame "the media" for anything, unless you start to get
specific.  Certainly there are special interest groups within "the media"
that give a voice to non-Jewish victims of holocaust -- such as yourself by
voicing your concerns here, or perhaps any news agency that reports
non-anti-semitic atrocities elsewhere in the world.

I think I see some of your points:  the U.S. government's foreign policy is
shameful, and that there are elements with the media that perform superbly
as cheerleaders for current foreign policy.  I won't argue against those.
However, I doubt that even a numerical majority of the media does so.  A
vocal majority, perhaps.

Omitting facts about the Holocaust by
repeating (and repeating) only the figures on Jewish victims is not real
journalism, it's blatant propaganda. The same goes for the media creating or
reinforcing the stereotypes of the "lazy Mexican," the "black criminal," the
"bad Asian driver," the "Arab terrorist," or the "suffering Jew." We laugh
about it without realizing how destructive it is to create a generation of
bigots.

For each of those stereotypes you've described, I've seen examples in the
media that work to discredit them.

Sadly, there's always going to be a market for blatant stereotypes.  People
will pay money to see them.  Therefore, people will produce them in order to
make a buck.  Untimately, it's not the fault of some media industry that
these images are perpetuated, but rather some fault in *ourselves*.  Rail
against that.

Cheers,
- jsproat