 Off-Topic / Debate / 10015
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:37:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
It's difficult to blame "the media" for anything, unless you start to get
specific.

Hey, I got another doosy for you, Jeremy! Old skool:

Remember when "Amadeus" won a bunch of Oscars back in 1984? We all got
familiarized with the "story" of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and how Salieri was
jealous and killed him-- 100% pure crap!

First of all, that was a bunch of rumours started by German nationalists in
the 1800's (including Beethoven). Salieri was an Italian and the Germans
didn't want the Italians to influence their culture. Pushkin later made a
playlet called "Mozart and Salieri" and solidified the lies about Salieri.

Did you know that Salieri was a close collegue of Mozart and friend of the
family? Salieri strongly supported Mozart, when his fellow Germans
(Austrians) didn't give a hoot about his music. In fact, Salieri took care
of Mozart's family when Mozart died. He even taught his son music and payed
for his education. However, a few Germans chose to make up the story which
the world now accepts as historical fact: Salieri killed Mozart. Nothing can
be further from the truth.

How's that for media propaganda? A big lie that won an Oscar, imagine that?

Dan