 Off-Topic / Debate / 10014
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:13:27 GMT

I think you mean Elie Wiesel.

Yes! Thanks, I was having trouble recalling his name and didn't want to
butcher it. :)

I realize now that your beef isn't with Schindler's List per se, but
rather with the treatment it's received since its release. I can't speak for
him, naturally, but perhaps Spielberg thought it would be inappropriate to
use the Oscar podium as a forum for political change, especially considering
that, not long before, Richard Gere called for all viewers of whatever
awards show he was on to send good vibes to Tibet.  That's a total guess,
since I don't know what Spielberg actually had to say in his speech.

Well, I admire any artist willing to use their celebrity status in a
positive, non-egocentric way. It breaks my heart when an artist like
Spielberg (a true cinematic genius of our time) can capture people's hearts
and minds with such powerful work yet not go all the way to be a voice for
all who have suffered under genocide. His movie is a solid testimony to the
evil of man against man, why stop with just the Jews while the same stuff is
happening right then? I guess it was just a missed opportunity, who knows
what difference it would have made anyway?

To his credit, though perhaps a little late, with the airing this past
weekend of Schindler's List, Spielberg commented on some of the very issues
you address.

Great! I'm glad to hear it! :)

Dan