 Off-Topic / Debate / 1227
Re: Lego Holocaust art (Was: can someone help me identify these parts?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 05:12:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
Ok folks, I'm about to open a HUGE can of worms, so here goes.
Why is it that when anyone speaks of the Holocaust, only Jews are mentioned.
Jews represented only 60% of those extinguished during the holocaust.  Gays,
Gypsys, blacks and poles were also executed.

You're right -- it is a huge can of worms.

I'm glad I mentioned the Holocaust, if it helped you vent.  I hope I didn't
mention the Jews specifically -- though, being 1/8 Jewish, I can't help but
be a little biased.  Sorry.

The sad truth is, is that the Jews were the only large group of
politically-correct victims of the Holocaust.  The majority of the others --
not including those persecuted solely for political or business reasons --
were also scorned by most of the Allies at the time.

Homosexuals in England were *illegal* and subject to medical testing.

There were (and still are) places in the American south where black people
would be safe to not go to.

Gypsies were scorned by virtually everyone for social and economic reasons.

As for the Polish, I honestly have no idea.  They were a superpower a hundred
years or so ago, and now they're a genre of stupid jokes.

So -- fifty years later, and there is still stigma attached to these other
groups.  Are you really surprised that nothing has changed?  Fifty years
later, we still can't apologize to the Japanese for nuking two largely
civilian cities.  Fifty years later, we're still cleaning up the mess in
Europe.  We never learn.

Tom Brokaw (sp?) likes to deify his generation, to call their names in honor
of the holy war they were fighting, to remember back to the good days when
life was simple and choices were easy and women were sent back into the
kitchen, etc.  The truth is, their generation was screwed up just as badly as
ours is today.

Now, if you want to really get excited, consider that Stalin executed half
again as many as Hitler -- and they were almost all Russian.  S'funny how we
never see a memorial for *that* in Washington.  Same for the Chinese
people killed during the Cultural Revolution.  I suppose that, being citizens
of a Communist empire, they were significantly lower on the PC ladder than
Jews, blacks, homosexuals, gypsies, and Poles.

Whoops, I guess I'm venting too.  I need a "feel good" food.  Time for some
more taqitos with peach salsa.

Cheers,
- jsproat