 Off-Topic / Debate / *7741 (-10)
  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Zoinks! I forget this part in my second reply - I'm still heavily medicated! The analogy was only intended to be about Larry as a child (--Lar) on a roller coaster, which actually means it's not really an analogy, I suppose. I was only (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I want to answer this a little better now that I have more time: As to Calvinism - I don't buy into the whole hyper-Calvinistic TULIP thing, but I do believe in predestination in the way that Selcuk described it earlier (in reference to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) <snip> (...) You missed the point - If a member doesn't vote according to the wishes OF HIS CONSTITUENTS, THEY can force a by-election. It's the opposite of party discipline - making the members accountable to those that elected them on an (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) He didn't say that, exactly. He said every "meaningful" (paraphrasing) true claim is falsifiable and then proceeded to show why non falsifiable claims don't help us in our understanding. (...) Good point but while you're thinking about that, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Enduring Marxism

(...) It's amazing to think that some of their film work is almost 70 years old! Duck Soup, in its day, was deemed so volatile that Il Duce banned its screening in Italy for several years, and its madcap anti-war sentiment was echoed fully 40 years (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G4wJLA.DAL@lugnet.com... (...) What happens if we hold him up to his own standard? It must be possible to conceive of evidence that would prove the claim -- 'It must be possible to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I am lazy and act in my own self interest as much of the time as I possibly can. And I'm afraid too... Afraid I consider those virtues rather than the denigrating characteristics you make them out to be. I'm not "most people", believe me, but (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

<snipped even more capriciously than usual!> (...) I agree. Those Marx brothers were pretty zany all right. Yet their belief system (the right to wear silly hats, have dark eyebrows, wave cigars leeringly at matronly women, and honk a large bicycle (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Fortunately for HIM, he wasn't posting to a newsgroup, and wasn't arguing, merely presenting information. So he didn't "lose", per se. (didn't satisfy 2 of the preconditions) Fortunately for YOU, you quoted that quote BEFORE any argument was (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) LOL And he was doing so well, too;-D "...If I claim that Adolf Hitler is alive and well and living in Argentina, how could you disprove my claim?" -John (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact