 Off-Topic / Debate / *7066 (-20)
  Re: It's All Over...

(...) While I agree with you to an extent I wouldn't worry too much in that while the Republican's will have a majority in the House and Senate it is not enough of a majority to do whatever they want. Especially in the Senate the Dem's have enough (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Ah, but you've got to look at the rest of the government right now - Republican Senate and House, and, should Bush win, more Rep judges. That's a big step backwards this country doesn't need. -Jeremiah- (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) I am so _not_ going to get in a cultural relativism argument over grammar and aesthetics. I'm a liberal in principle and a conservative in practice (except for anything from the seventies). (...) Yeah, it's not really a disagreement. I know (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) That really depends on how much of your money that is taken from you actually gets used to "benefit" people. Do you think that any large percentage of 1/3 of your income actually produces results? If so, I have a couple of bridges you might be (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message news:4m7j0t4jiq8pn2s...4ax.com... (...) what (...) You really wanna spend *that* much on LEGO? ;-) <grin, duck, & run> -- Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com (URL) - Centralized LDraw Resources (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) Thank you Matthew. And because I've had two hours sleep in about forty I'll just point out that 1. fast and red are in fact adjectives, hence the first example, and 2. Coke is a trademark and a proper noun (like LEGO) hence the second example. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) Let's see, what will the country be like if Gore wins... hmmm.... OK, what will it be like if Bush wins... hmmm.... Oh, heck. I'm heading for Australia *now*, to beat the rush. Steve (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) No it's not. Although there is some difference between Gore and Bush, they're both corporatists, they both want to increase military spending, they both support the death penalty, etc., etc., etc. A vote for Nader is *not* chosing the lesser (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Fair enough, but you must agree that because of that circular reasoning the argument won't convince anyone who doesn't already agree with it. (...) I understand and accept that, but many people identify LEGO as a singular noun in that usage, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) It's wrong, but not for that reason. It's wrong because it's an adjective, and adjectives don't really have plurals. But in popular usuage, it's a noun, and there's no reason for it to not have a regular plural. And people do say "I drank a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) (assuming it's an open question...) Could you ever have a total, _total_ competition vacuum? Because if there's a market, there's kids, and if there's kids there's no vacuum since they can always make up their own games. And if they couldn't (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) My take is that LEGO's trend toward Juniorization would continue with or without market competition, since we have evidence of its roots long before any serious competitor hit the market. LEGO can't blame (not that they do) their own reduced (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Absolutely, which why it's In My Humble Opinion. (...) I would argue (and again, this is entirely the way it works in my fat head)that you, as a LEGO user, would be as wrong (or right) to identify a single brick as "a Lego" as you would be if (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads

(...) Are they the only thing keeping LEGO from complacency, or are they driving LEGO to juniorise the heck out of everything? If they didn't have to contend with competition, would they be dumbing down their sets, or would they be producing (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Pot shot or not, the comment identifies the problem of the widespread--though not necessarily accurate--perception of the LP as a bunch of far-out right wingers. In my experience, the LP suffers from a vocal minority(?) within its ranks who (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: It's All Over...

(...) That's funny. Me too. (...) Except for that crack about 3rd parties, I'm with you. Further, we should initiate impeachment procedings right away. Clinton lied and he had to go through it, so why not whichever of these two boobs wins too? If we (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) I need to revise my statement above. The everywhere that I meant is limited mostly to the US. So maybe not quite everywhere, but it's good enough data from my POV. :-) If you're serious, start with _The Great American Gun Debate_ by Don B. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) (URL) I haven't been able to find independent verification of this article, but it seems pretty clear-cut to me! 8^) Dave! FUT off-topic.fun (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) In what way does it seem to you like any of these things are a problem in the US? I mean that seriously. I suspect that I will disagree completely, but I'm really interested in the vision from outside. (...) I don't know. Really. That would be (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Well I don't find myself agreeing with you often Scott but I do on this one. I was actually considering voting for the Libertarian candidate for Senate in Massachusetts because I can't stand the drunken slob, Ted Kennedy, that is our current (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact