 Off-Topic / Debate / *16676 (-20)
  Re: Capital Ideas

(...) I'd want to see some stats on that. I think you can construct an argument the other way too, that once you've crossed the line and are now a good candidate for that penalty, nothing is going to stop you from committing further crimes. (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Capital Ideas

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: Can anyone verify this (...) Can't help you there, but here's an interesting argument regarding capital punishment- Most murders occur in conjection with other crimes (theft, rape, etc). If a criminal (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Capital Ideas

Here in sunny Western PA we have a disturbing abundance of far-right demagogues on the radio, all of whom place the blame for all the ills of society--from the possibility of a dirty bomb to the heartbreak of psoriasis-- squarely upon Liberals. I (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) I read a couple of quotes the other day that I thought made a great postscript to this post: In early '48 it was questioned why Israel had no land in the Jerusalem area, this was Ben-Gurion's answer: "The war will give us the land. The concept (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I LOVE LEGO!

(...) translation: "i am a doughnut!" ich bin ein frankfurter! (i am a hotdog!) -lenny (22 years ago, 24-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) Thanks for the prompt reply. I sent the appropriate message. (...) Well I think I'll give it a day or two and see what's up. -Mike Petrucelli (22 years ago, 24-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) No one was casting any aspersions for what was an honest mistake. I wouldn't worry about it much... How to cancel depends on how you posted. If you used a newsreader you should be able to cancel from that reader, see your docs. If you used the (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) Well the author did not actually ask for anonymity, and I really did not expect anyone to guess. (Though I guess I should know better. My mistake, it won't happen again.) (...) Yeah I screwed that up too. Um, how do I cancel the message? (...) (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes: <snip> Mike: Leaving aside the propriety of quoting large sections of email that's written in a style that pretty clearly suggests who the author was (to longtime readers) after the author asked (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: More info here

(...) The solution seems obvious. Comment out the code that does this: numListeners += 1; (22 years ago, 23-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: More info here

(URL) sure plenty of you have seen this but I missed it until just now. Just posting to let others like me know. -Jon -- | The Shipyard - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) Attack of the Bricks - (URL) Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Sad day for internet radio

(well, 2 days ago anyway...) (URL) The Shipyard - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) Attack of the Bricks - (URL) (22 years ago, 23-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) you (...) But this is an exemplar of jury success. And innocent man wasn't convicted -- that's the most important thing. Chris (22 years ago, 22-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Found the link the the Skinner box and EverQuest: (URL) Skinner Box into Google and have a boo at the results there for more info (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: snip (...) snippage (...) I believe you are referring to the Skinner box, in which the rats are 'trained' to perform certain tasks by a cost/reward method. When the rat presses lever, he gets food. (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

(...) Feh! What does an economist know about cost/benefit analysis? Interesting article overall, though some of his assumptions seem to depend too much on ideal models rather than real-world situations. The problem, as I see it, is that Thief A (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

(...) A nit. Technically this is not true. They actually typically collect LESS than they pay out. (but only by a little) You can read quite a bit more about this topic here: (URL) particular see: (URL) in particular particular, the section headed (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: MOB (was Re: Fan Thank You Letter)

(...) Regulations differ greatly from country to country. It is my understandment that US Workers' Compensation insurance is very well regulated; the carrier is not allowed to make any price increases beyond those to account for inflation. In (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fan Thank You Letter

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: <snip> (...) You don't know how lucky you are. Your "sue happy" culture means that people who ought to be careful are more motivated to be careful! I think I get the point of your example. To take (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact