 Off-Topic / Debate / *16021 (-20)
  Re: Ow. Got stung by a lazy ebay seller.

Benjamin: I sent 3 polite e-mails to Jeff only after waiting an entire month after our transaction was complete. I am more angered by you and the people like you who are accusing me of something more when that simply isn't the truth. You should get (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ow. Got stung by a lazy ebay seller.

(...) I read what the seller wrote and have decided to modify my view on the sellers part.... the parts were "NEW" but <darn> quality control issues at LEGO have handicapped the situation..... The seller says he doesn't have time to test out all the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ow. Got stung by a lazy ebay seller.

(...) I'm glad you X-FUT off.topic.debate because I have a few things to say. I will try to make what I say as neutral and as pleasant as I can be (this being the Easter Season). There were two issues (not ONE as some users have lumped together) at (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Allan, are you saying you don't get what the difference between correlation and causality is? Chris's words seem pretty clear to me... there seems to be a statistical link (a correlation) between poverty and education level, to wit, people who (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) No, not at all. I honestly meant what I said. It's just that some of your terminology and phrases were way above my head. See the two paragraphs below for further examples. But to be honest again, I didn't realize you were researching (...) (23 years ago, 29-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) Does it offend you that I hobby-research lay opinion on education or something? A correlation says that when you observe X, you are to some extent likely to ovserve Y as well. Y might be phrased as _not_ Z which means that X and Z are (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Got this from a friend...

(...) Because it's definitely debatable. And that's all. -Tom McD. (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Got this from a friend...

What? You want my 2 cents? It's gonna ruffle feathers, including mine. Why would you post something like that here? (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Got this from a friend...

Not to ruffle anyones feathers... i was sent this by email from a friend, and i found it funny. :). I apologize if it demeans anyone, or anyones family/friends. (URL) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) You'll have to forgive this member of the laity, but I'm kind of unsure what you're saying here. Do you mean to say that even when a link is shown to exist, there is no explanation of it's cause? I'm having trouble with this..... perhaps you (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Difference between Admin and Member requests(was: The role of ethics)

(...) Suz, What would have been the consequence (if any) had he or others chosen to ignore your request? Basically, what is the difference between a request from Suzanne Rich, LUGNET Admin and Suz, LUGNET Member #2? Jude XFUT .admin.general (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: The role of ethics (was: The Free Super Chiefs)

(...) It's just like it looks: The LUGNET Admin (Suzanne Rich) posted a polite request. (...) Topic ignored, if your post had not continued direct questioning of Jeremy, it wouldn't have gotten my attention and resulted in my post, no. But your (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Kinda long eBook thing...

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:GtLswC.Lx1@lugnet.com... (...) encryption (...) it (...) Cool, a subject I know something about :) I went on a training course at Microsoft in Seattle last year specifically on eBook (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Kinda long eBook thing...

Hey Y'all: I had no idea where else to discuss this issue -- and this group seems gadget and technology interested enough to suit my purposes. Anyway, here it is... Of late I have become interested in eBooks or eTexts and have been looking at the (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

<BIG snip> As an avid reader and attendee of literary (and other) conventions I really want to weigh in on this subject. I believe that reading is an indespensible tool for learning and growing in the present. There are two things I get from books (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) up? (...) No. I'm saying that I can see how one would come, through a non-rigorous examination, to believe that stance. But even when a correlation is shown (which we haven't pointed to) it says nothing of causality. (...) Well, they tell you (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I'm not sure that we can generalize like that. Most of what _I_ read is non-fiction designed to teach a person how to do something (use the perl split() function, plant bamboo, teach the philosophy of appropriate technology, etc.) A close (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

I'm going to make an assumption here, knowing that I could very well be wrong. I don't think that Chris was trying to say that reading is obsolete or inferior to other media, I think he was just trying to pose different sides of the argument... I've (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

To Allan, Chris, and all others interested: My humorous input: I must say that I simply could not live without reading LEGO Idea Books.... <grin> Okay, now my less humorous input: I think I will have to side with Allan (based on his previous post) (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The value of reading (was: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...)

(...) I still don't see that it diminishes the importance of reading. :) (...) So you're saying you agree, because you've seen this as a person..... but you disagree because there is no academic proof? :) If you studied education at a university (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact