 Off-Topic / Debate / 16020
Re: Ow. Got stung by a lazy ebay seller.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:30:23 GMT

Issue 1:

the seller sent some parts that were clearly unsatifactory to the buyer.

Maybe its me, but it seems to me the Buyer Beware Attitude is on E-bay and
only really on E-bay.  Dan and his Bricklink (TM) are also not responsible
for the individual transactions, but the environment is different....

you'd expect for items not to be everything you wanted in an auction....
hence a buyer beware environment....
you'd expect for things to be more "honest" in a 'retail setting' (even though
bricklink is an electronic venue)

To the defense of the buyer:  If the parts say "NEW" and they have marks or
indications that make them used, then the seller has CLEARLY misrepresented
himself...

To the defense of the seller: there is really is no bonifide standard to which
we can match the condition of our parts to....there are systems in place,
grading systems, but they aren't universally adopted.

Personal Example.... I two have a store and have had some transactions, maybe
not to the extent as some, but I don't consider my shop to be a sole support
of income, just a way to sell off some parts that I don't want, or to sell
off sets that I acquired through discount sales.

Anyways, back to the issue.  There were a few items that I sold that were
of poorer quality, but I listed as USED condition.

I read what the seller wrote and have decided to modify my view on the
sellers part.... the parts were "NEW" but <darn> quality control issues
at LEGO have handicapped the situation.....

The seller says he doesn't have time to test out all the parts he has for
sale, which I agree especially when he and others have large type of inventory
Lord knows how hard it would be for me to keep sorted all my personal stash
from my store inventory....unless I was doing one or the other...

However, if there were some deficiencies on the merchandise, the seller should
have annotated that there were some "bad apples" in the lot or sold them
as a separate item, instead of batching them all together....
and the seller initially agreed to work with the buyer to sort out the
situation at hand...

however, in light of the buyers behaviour, I would think that the issue will
take a while to sort out....

(sorry for replying to my own post, but I didn't have all the facts straight)

Benjamin Medinets