 Off-Topic / Debate / 16019
Re: Ow. Got stung by a lazy ebay seller.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:19:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, John Rudy writes:
In lugnet.market.brickshops, Todd A. Schroeder writes:
Larry:

I am sympathizing with Kyle on how I understand what it feels like to lose
money from dishonest Lego sellers.

I can see how you are sympathizing, but it came off as quite hostile.  I
haven't read all of your posts to Bricklink, but I think Larry was just
trying to avoid the debacle that occured there.
IMHO, threads titled such as: "----name---- is a liar and a cheat."  and
"----name---- you have been warned!" aren't acceptable on a civil forum such
as LUGNET.

I'm glad you X-FUT off.topic.debate because I have a few things to say.
I will try to make what I say as neutral and as pleasant as I can be (this
being the Easter Season).

There were two issues (not ONE as some users have lumped together) at hand:

Issue 1:

the seller sent some parts that were clearly unsatifactory to the buyer.

Maybe its me, but it seems to me the Buyer Beware Attitude is on E-bay and
only really on E-bay.  Dan and his Bricklink (TM) are also not responsible
for the individual transactions, but the environment is different....

you'd expect for items not to be everything you wanted in an auction....
hence a buyer beware environment....
you'd expect for things to be more "honest" in a 'retail setting' (even though
bricklink is an electronic venue)

To the defense of the buyer:  If the parts say "NEW" and they have marks or
indications that make them used, then the seller has CLEARLY misrepresented
himself...

To the defense of the seller: there is really is no bonifide standard to which
we can match the condition of our parts to....there are systems in place,
grading systems, but they aren't universally adopted.

Personal Example.... I two have a store and have had some transactions, maybe
not to the extent as some, but I don't consider my shop to be a sole support
of income, just a way to sell off some parts that I don't want, or to sell
off sets that I acquired through discount sales.

Anyways, back to the issue.  There were a few items that I sold that were
of poorer quality, but I listed as USED condition.

Issue 2:

the buyer was pushing the seller to post positive feed-back for him.

This in most senses is a dead issue, because Dan said that in only event of
a lawsuit, would he remove the neutral feedback.

I think that feedback is something that hinges on the first amendment.
I am personally entitled to post a positive/neutral/negative feedback, and
post my opinions on the transaction.  I am free to do that without any
harassment from the other party.

There are those who post feedback only positive, and don't if they are
slightly dissatisfied, while others post neutral or negative if they are
dissatisfied.  I guess that's for each person to decide.

In my opinion the buyer (to remain unnamed in my article) over-stepped
his bounds by pushing the seller to post ANY type of feedback.
Then made matters worse by flaming the seller in the newsgroup.

I really don't feel like discussing my personally commentary on the situation
because I don't think it would be appropriate to this community.

Conclusion:

Any willingness to fix the situation on the part of the seller is
now indefinitely crushed by the bad behaviour of the buyer.
Personally, I wouldn't have gotten involved if the buyer and some of the
other lugnet users wouldn't have brought the discussion here on Lugnet.

Thanks,

Benjamin Medinets