 Off-Topic / Debate / *14831 (-10)
  Re: Medical Marijuana

David: I think a lot of that shows a poor understanding of what is actually taking place in our good country. The reasons to keep drugs (currently illicit drugs) ILLEGAL are: 1. Increased government income (nondeclared, slips easily into one's (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Ah, so as to make it so ridiculous in cost that nobody would buy it and thus essentially stop drug use? I spose. In any event, I think the pros and cons still apply as to why not legalize it-- just perhaps not for the supposed plan. As for the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Ah, so as to make it so ridiculous in cost that nobody would buy it and thus essentially stop drug use? I spose. In any event, I think the pros and cons still apply as to why not legalize it-- just perhaps not for the supposed plan. As for the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Yeah, I was trying to formulate a scenario in which the gov't could "allow" marijuana (or the like) but might place some dollar restriction on sales to make the legal purchase undesirable to the consumer. Not sure if it would work, except in (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) No, it's too plausible not to be true. The government thinks heroin is some big bad thing (it is) that we need to be protected from because we're too stupid (we're not)... so we have wild gyrations in the street price as we either bribe the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

Replace marijuana with heroin and you have a successfully conceived scenario. I am not saying that this is the truth, I am saying it's a plausible reason for much of what we have seen of late. It could, of course, be totally false. -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) I think the argument being put forth is that 80,000% is so high as to not make it profitable or even feasible to actually carry out commerce. So I'm not sure your pros and cons apply. (but maybe they do... at one dollar an ounce (an (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Did governments create the drug problem instead of prevent one? was Medical Marijuana

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gn7J4q.Mt1@lugnet.com... (...) There is a new book published this week Richard Davenport-Hines - ''Pursuit of Oblivion: A Narcotic History of the World, 1500-2000.'' I haven't read (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  the LEGO corporation is a sinister arm of Western global hegemony?

From the National Review. I don't necessarily agree with all of Peter's reasoning but I found it an interesting read. You may as well, or not. (URL) found the last paragraph "And, in a roundabout way, the Maori have made their peace with (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Medical Marijuana

(...) Pros: 1. Increased government income from taxes made 2. More government jobs for overseeing drug trade 3. Increased commerce (theoretically) 4. Fewer crowded prisons 5. Less court time & police time used (IE more time for other crimes) 6. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact